About the club
The Friendship Force of Shelby has 51 members who are eager to host. The membership is made up of mostly retired members, but is always seeking younger members.
About the region
Cleveland County is nestled in the southwestern corner of North Carolina along the South Carolina border in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are approximately 100,000 people in the county. Cleveland County is one of the best agricultural counties in the state. Farm products produced are cotton, poultry, dairy, livestock, grain crops, blackberries, grapes and greenhouse crops. There are 100 manufacturing firms in the county. These firms produce food products, textiles, furniture, electronic and electrical equipment, truck transmissions, aircraft equipment and more. North Carolina including Shelby, is one of the newest and fastest growing wine producers.
About the Journey
Ambassadors coming to Cleveland County are shown a variety of places when they come. Some of the interesting events available for a Journey include the following:
- The NASCAR series races at the Charlotte Motor Speedway near Charlotte. Tours are available for groups.
- Charlotte is the home of the Carolina Panthers professional football team and tours are available.
- America’s largest private home, The Biltmore House, is located in Asheville, which is only 70 miles from Shelby.
- Grandfather Mountain and its Mile High Bridge is a favorite site for ambassadors.
- West Jefferson has a cheese-making industry and churches with frescoes painted on the walls.
- Greer, South Carolina, is home to a BMW plant that has daily tours of their automobile production.
- The Schiele Museum in Gaston County is a favorite spot for museum lovers.
- Mt. Mitchell is the highest mountain east of the Mississippi and is an easy drive from Cleveland County.
- The Green River Plantation is in the adjoining county and tours are available.
Charlotte is approximately 45 miles from Shelby and has the closest major airport. Ambassadors coming to our county are picked up at the airport by our members. Our club can host 20 ambassadors. Depending on activities ambassadors are interested in visiting, the extra costs can be US $30-50.
Updated March 2017